December 2019 Goodbye food checks. Hello CA WIC Card!
WIC Cards for WIC parents WIC parents are individuals who have met the requirements for WIC and have chosen to enroll. In the past, WIC parents received free food vouchers they could use for nutritious food at the market. But departments of public health in many states, including the California State Department of Public Health, which oversees all WIC agencies throughout California, determined that reusable WIC cards would be preferable to food vouchers.
Why a WIC card? The CA WIC Card will make shopping for WIC foods easier.
What can WIC parents expect with the CA WIC Card?
• The card will work like a debit card.
• Shopping at the market will be easier.
• Card holders will buy as much or as little as they want at any one time.
WIC food package Each food package will remain the same as it’s been in the past.
Keeping track WIC parents will be able to keep track of what they’ve already bought and which foods they haven’t bought yet.
There will be three different ways to see this. Card holders can choose:
• to look for this information on the CA WIC Card app.
• or to look at their market receipt.
• or to look at a printout at their WIC center.
Time to get ready for the WIC Card! Here’s what parents can do now:
• Download the WIC app.
• Watch the video on this website.
• Think of a pin. When they use these 4 numbers, they will see the information that is theirs, not someone else’s.
• Save special phone numbers. These will help if they lose their WIC Card or forget their pin.
• Give themselves extra time at their WIC appointment starting in December.
The WIC app Any WIC parents with a smart phone can visit their phone’s app store. They will search for “California WIC,” then download the California WIC app. When parents get their WIC card in December or later, they will be able to log in and access the app’s special features.
WIC pin Parents are asked to choose a WIC pin that has 4 numbers. Their pin should be easy to remember, and difficult for other people to guess. Not 1234!
If parents lose their WIC card Parents can call WIC Card Support at 1-844-469-3264 if they lose their WIC card. WIC Card Support can help you any time of the day or night.
If parents forget their pin Parents can call WIC Card Support at 1-844-469-3264 if they forget their pin. They can also ask for help at their WIC center.
Extra time at WIC appointment Parents will spend extra time during their WIC appointment so they can learn about their new WIC Card.
Classes for parents! We will offer a class about the CA WIC Card to help parents learn more about using it.